Skip to main content

Home Canning Myth Buster: Beet Sugar vs Pure Cane Sugar

When I was learning to can, I had heard that you need pure cane sugar in order for your jelly to gel.
But my mom said that my grandmothers who lived in Colorado where they made sugar from beets,  always used beet sugar and never had any problems. I didn't know which was right, but I knew I wasn't going to risk wasting a batch of jelly to find out.

Well tonight while I was reading up on making jelly since I don't make it often and I always need a refresher, I saw this in my Ball canning guide.

"Sugar helps in gel formation, contributes to flavor and serves as a preserving agent. Beet and cane sugar may be used with equal success." 

That was an aha moment and a relief but I don't think I will try to argue the point with any old timers that still believe in the myth.

Interestingly the article went on to say that you can substitute part of the sugar in a recipe with light corn syrup. It said for recipes without added pectin substitute 1/4 of the sugar and if there is added pectin you can substitute 1/2 of the sugar with corn syrup.

You can also replace 1/2 the sugar in a recipe without added pectin with honey. For recipes with added pectin 2 cups of honey replaces 2 cups of sugar.

I hope this myth buster is a help to you! But don't argue with granny or mama!  Make it their way when you are helping them, but at home... do as Ball says.

Brand new custom vintage jelly jar sticker label! Get it HERE

Comments