Skip to main content

Canning Recipe of theWeek: Green Chile Jam

Sweet & Hot

When I was younger I thought sweet and hot did not go together and it just didn't whet my appetite, so I never tried anything that mixed sweet with hot.  Boy was I missing it!

Now that I am more mature... okay, make that middle aged, I have gotten brave and already tried some jalepeno jelly which was amazing.

I also enjoyed some homemade cranberry chutney my mother in law made for Thanksgiving a few years back. It had everything in it but the kitchen sink and the best part was the way the heat of the garlic and the sweet of cranberries married and melted in my mouth.  Man, was that good on the turkey! Mmmm hmmmm!

Next on my list is this recipe for Green Chile Jam.  It sounds super tasty, I can't wait to try it and I wanted to share the recipe with you too!  Let me know if you liked it in the comments.

This recipe comes from the Hatch New Mexico Chile recipe collection and I figured if anyone would have a great recipe for green chile jam, it would be Hatch New Mexico dwellers.



Green Chile Jam
4 cups roasted, peeled, and chopped chiles
2 cups apple or cranberry juice
2 T cider vinegar
1 or 2 T lemon juice
1 box of No-Sugar pectin (Sure Jell)
3 cups sugar



Mix together the chiles, juices, vinegar, and pectin.Bring to a boil, stirring. Add the sugar, and stir in well. Bring to a boil again and boil for one minute.

Scoop into sanitized jelly jars and seal with new flats and lids.  Process the sealed jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes.

 (adjust time for your altitude... 5 minutes less for below 1000 ft. 5 minutes more for above 6000 ft.)

Remove and let the jars cool.


Don't forget to get your custom canning supplies for all your canning needs at my shop The Jelly Jar


Here is a cool kitchen towel I designed that you can personalize for no extra cost.
Personalize yours HERE
I got mine and I love it! 

full size is 23"x16"


soft and absorbent micro fiber

printed on one side with my monogram


Comments