Skip to main content

Canning Weeds

No, this is not a recipe for canned weeds.

I just wanted to write a short post about something I read about during my last search for unique jelly recipes to share.

I ran across some historic recipe sites that talked about how things were in America during the great depression of the 1930's and in particular some families that endured living through the dust bowl right here in my state of Oklahoma.

Times were hard then, I mean really hard, the only things that grew in the summer was weeds. People of all ages were dying from dust related respiratory illnesses and hunger and despair were widespread.  In order to feed their families, moms learned how to forage. They learned which weeds you could eat and they would can them up for eating in the long lean winter months.

Tumbleweeds and lambs quarters were the weeds that kept them from starving, and many who remember eating them say that canned they tasted not much different than any other greens.

I have actually eaten lambs quarters myself and it tasted a bit like a cross between turnip greens and spinach to me, but mine was sauteed in bacon fat on the stove, not canned.

Anyway, I thought that during this uncertain time we are living through right now with the current virus going around and people on lock down all over the world, we could use some encouragement about the resourcefulness and resilience of people who have lived through very hard times before us. And I hope you never have a need for a recipe for canned weeds!



But check out this cool recipe binder I designed to help you keep the recipes you do need!







Comments