Skip to main content

Homemade From Penelope's Kitchen: but who is this Penelope?

Today I am just posting a pure personal anecdote that you may or may not find interesting but I thought it would be fun to share this little bit of insight with you.

If you have ever browsed in my shop The Jelly Jar you have surely seen many of the custom products have the name Penelope on them as a sample placeholder for you to change to your own name.

I want to share the back story to why I use that name.

First of all when choosing a sample placeholder name you need one that is long enough to work for many different lengths of names so that the buyer doesn't run out of space on the template if they have a really long name like Anastasia or Genevieve. Penelope works well for this purpose.

Secondly you need a name that is pretty aesthetically and Penelope  fits that bill also. But while these are important, Penelope is not a random choice of a sample name for me.

Penelope (Fitzpatrick) Potter was my sister in law and very good friend. She was an avid canning enthusiast and we both learned to can from my mother in law.  Penny (as we called her) loved to can jellies, jams and many other foods and was a homesteader and prepper at heart!

Penny passed away several years ago and I am sure she would be pleased to know that in her memory I have been using her name on all of the products I design for personalizing.  If she were still here she would also be giving me ideas and maybe even some competition in the canning label and blogging departments.  lol!

So, now you know who Penelope is if you were wondering :)


Check out this recipe box I designed to hold your canning recipe cards! 
I think Penny would like it! 

Buy it HERE





Comments