Skip to main content

Quince Jelly: Home Canning Recipe of the Month

This month I wanted to share either a persimmon recipe or a quince recipe. 

Well, after much thought and research on recipes for persimmon jelly here is what I learned. If you don't happen to have a persimmon tree in your yard or the woods nearby, they are not readily available.  If and when you can find them for sale, they are also expensive. Another thing I learned is that persimmons are persnickety and only taste good if you find them fully ripened, but if not ripe they can have a strong pucker power. Yikes! So with all this in mind and the fact that I like to share recipes with you that you can actually make and enjoy, I opted for the quince jelly recipe.  

Here is what I learned about quinces. They are much easier to find at the local produce market. They look somewhat like a pear but have a texture like a hard apple. You can't eat them raw but they make a lovely pink jelly that has a delicate flavor with hints of apple and rose because they are related to both. Also the recipe looked easy to make. (bonus!) 

So without further ado... Here is the October recipe for Quince Jelly. 

 

 prep time: 30 minutes

cook time:15 minutes

total time: 45 minutes
 
Servings: 32 
 
Yield: 8 (1/2 pint) jars 
 
 (Original recipe yields 32 servings)
 
 
Ingredients:

  •  7 ½ cups sugar 
  • 3 fluid ounces liquid pectin
  • 4 ½ cups water
  • 3 pounds quinces, cored and chopped, peels on
  • ¼ cup lemon juice
 

Directions


Sterilize 8 (1/2 pint) jars in boiling water for at least 5 minutes, and have new lids ready.
 

I am excited to be able to show you the new all 
over print apron I designed for canning lovers like you! 
This classic gingham print with the popular I heart canning
 text  will protect your clothing from stains in style! 
 
Buy it HERE    

See more great custom canning supplies at my store 
 
 
 
 

Comments